Will McCain Re-suspend His Campaign?

The bailout failed in the House by a vote of 227-206. The House Republicans will ultimately face the blame. House Minority Leader John Boehner (Republican, Ohio) blamed the defeat on a partisan speech delivered by House Majority Leader Nancy Pelosi preceding the vote. Rep. Roy Blunt (Republican, Virginia) later commented in a press conference that "a dozen or so votes" were lost due to this speech. The Republican machine is running with this talking point. It can however be easily rebutted and was by Rep. Barney Frank (Democrat, Massachusetts) who said "Well if that stopped people from voting, then shame on them. If people's feelings were hurt because of a speech and that led them to vote differently than what they thought the national interest [wanted], then they really don't belong here. They're not tough enough."

The Republican wing is also criticizing Nancy Pelosi for bringing a bill of such magnitude to the floor without the requisite votes for passage; the problem with this logic is that she had the votes. Nancy Pelosi, on Sunday evening, went to Republican leadership and said "I need 80 votes;" Rep. Roy Blunt stated that this threshold was deliverable, well it wasn't. Only 65 Republicans voted for the measure, 15 shy of expectations. The House Republican's will however share the blame, with John McCain.

John McCain, sensing the gravity of the situation issued the following statement on the matter:

"Senator Obama took a very different approach to the crisis our country faces...at first he didn't want to get involved, then he was monitoring the situation. That's not leadership that's watching from the sidelines."

This statement comes in stark contrast to a statement McCain made earlier:

"I went to Washington last week to make sure that the taxpayers where not left footing the bill of mistakes by Wall Street and the evils of Washington."

Well John, the taxpayer won't be left footing the bill, for the moment. Based on his supreme support of a bailout bill the logical conclusion follows that if not this bill, another. Will you suspend your campaign again to focus on the now amplified situation, or is that not politically convenient anymore? John McCain must re-suspend his campaign in order to validate his prior suspension, because nothing has changed.

The entire affair contributed to the single greatest point drop in the history of the Dow Jones Industrial Average (-777.68).

Update [4:17 CT]: McCain's giving a press conference right now. He just looks and sounds sad. His performance is almost robotic. John reads about five words, looks up, and then looks down again. He blamed congress for failing to pass the bailout while accepting no responsibility his inability to negotiate a bipartisan solution.

23 Response(s) to Will McCain Re-suspend His Campaign?

Anonymous
9/29/2008 4:26:05 PM CT

Please!! Suspend it permanently!!!!
shameonumccain
9/29/2008 4:44:56 PM CT

When I was 6 years old I learned that I had to take responsibility for my actions and all I hear from McCain on everything is "It's Obama's fault" You would think at 72 years old He would have learn what I learned at 6 years old. Shame on you McCain.
saundra
9/29/2008 6:08:39 PM CT

McCain follows the suit of many true blue politicians - when things are heading downward - point the finger at anyone other than themselves. He is a politican - not a leader. I, for one, am ready for a leader. A person who will think before pointing, blaming and reacting. Someone who will lead on sound ideas not thoughts that randomly pop up. McCain is not that person and Palin scares the .... out of me! I agree with Anonymous - he needs to suspend his campaign permanently! The Obama/Biden ticket is the only sane way to vote.
gretcheno
9/29/2008 7:53:26 PM CT

I could not believe the GOP blame game do they really think american citizens are this s t u p i d to fall for their crap. I blame BUSH for all this and whoever voted for him quit complaining y'all put that m o f o in office.
len
9/29/2008 8:48:56 PM CT

JOHN McCAIN IS WELL PAST HIS BEST BEFORE DATE.
Anonymous
9/29/2008 9:06:23 PM CT

Thank you for helping expose last weeks antics by McCain for the hypocritical politically motivated ploy that it was. I would not have thought it possible but I am starting to believe that this man is more dangerous for our country than Bush himself. Hopefully we will never get the chance to find out.
stclaire, O 8
9/29/2008 9:41:39 PM CT

I'm out of words. McCain action is beyond my cerebral function. I give up.
jayjaga
9/29/2008 9:41:49 PM CT

This race would have been over by now had the average American voter considered what this country has passed through all these 8 years. Rather, they are busy talking about the pig with a lipstick. Just like what Emperor Nero was doing while Rome was burning. It's a big shame.
S. Palin
9/29/2008 10:33:10 PM CT

That's why I say I, like every American I'm speaking with, we're ill about this position that we have been put in where it is the taxpayers looking to bail out. But ultimately, what the bailout does is help those who are concerned about the health-care reform that is needed to help shore up our economy, helping the -- it's got to be all about job creation, too, shoring up our economy and putting it back on the right track. So health-care reform and reducing taxes and reining in spending has got to accompany tax reductions and tax relief for Americans. And trade, we've got to see trade as opportunity, not as a competitive, scary thing. But one in five jobs being created in the trade sector today, we've got to look at that as more opportunity. All those things under the umbrella of job creation. This bailout is a part of that.
Anonymous
9/29/2008 10:42:59 PM CT

You go, girl!
(I can see Wall St. from my back porch, and it's a foreign country.)
Anonymous
9/29/2008 11:24:06 PM CT

From my back porch, I can see the end of McCain's presidential bid...
Anonymous
9/30/2008 7:23:18 AM CT

...you've got to love those posters who say they're scared to death about Palin's lack of expertise for the figurehead position of VP. but are not the least bit concerned about Obama and his 143 days of federal experience in the number one position in the entire world...
Anonymous
9/30/2008 8:19:26 AM CT

Please don't compare Sarah Palin to Barack Obama. Compare their backgrounds and view one interview done by each of them and then come back and make an intelligent post.
Pecos Willie
9/30/2008 11:23:37 AM CT

Anonymous #3: We've just had almost 2900 days of federal experience "in the number one position in the entire world..." by his honorable Geo. Bush. So what good, exactly, is experience, in light of the condition in which our country finds itself? Do you also believe in tenure? The presidency should never be treated as a popularity contest, but as a contest to elect someone who will represent the entire country; not just the fat cats, or the pretty, or the strong, or my party, or my ideas, or my religion, or vested interests, or [fill in the blank]... We need statesmen now, more than ever, not politicians. "Either we hang together, or surely, we shall all hang separately." What this country needs is a good Bill of Responsibilities; What we have now is what you get when you have rights without responsibilities.
Patriotic Mama
9/30/2008 12:54:54 PM CT

John McCain suspending his campaign again? It did so much for him last time. Please, by all means, take a time out. Only this time, let's not pretend that you are saving the country, because we all know it's just for show. Maybe you should take a permanent time out and just be a grouchy old man. Go have a nap McSame. The country doesn't need your tired, sad old stunts. It's time for something new and better, not more temper tantrums.
Anonymous
9/30/2008 12:58:20 PM CT

John McCain is a leader?

Here is the roll call vote on the bailout from his state and Sarah's:

ALASKA
Republicans " Young, N.
ARIZONA
Democrats " Giffords, N; Grijalva, N; Mitchell, N; Pastor, N.
Republicans " Flake, N; Franks, N; Renzi, N; Shadegg, N.
yui
9/30/2008 8:53:40 PM CT

Mccain has run the MOST dishonorable campaign.I hope he does suspend and lose his state,too.
RG
10/1/2008 6:59:21 AM CT

Everyone needs to stop belly aching about Obama and experience. Bush had Governor experience. Look where we are! NO ONE PERSON can have all the experience needed to be president. Yes, Blanche, you LEARN ON THE JOB - - with excellent advisors. Bush had Cheney and Rumsfeldt. OBAMA is INTELLIGENT, SENSITIVE, CARING AND HAS A NEW VISION. So WHAT if he doesn't have experience? HE IS SMART, SMART, SMART! HE IS INTELLIGENT. HE WENT TO SCHOOL. HE HAS A JURIS DOCTORATE. What does Palin have? BS (literally) in journalism - - from 5 colleges. McCain? Military school - - almost at the worst in his class. GET REAL FOLKS. STOP WITH THE "OBAMA EXPERIENCE" CRAP. He's got a brain - - an entire brain, not a brain-stem!
Anonymous
10/1/2008 7:44:43 AM CT

Yes, Blanche, you LEARN ON THE JOB...

...Blanche???... Shirley you didn't mean to call me Blanche...at any rate, geez, guys, take your turn at beating up on me...I mean I know it's tough when you find out that there are in fact differing opinions in the world other than your own...we're supposed to be SMART,SMART,SMART about it and debate, rather than go into emotional overdrive...please, try to be SENSITIVE, CARING, and HAVE A NEW VISION about political polemics...and, for my part, I'll attempt to understand that Palin as a inexperienced VP candidate, and going to funerals and cutting ribbons at mall openings, is far more unsettling for the country than Obama, with his 143 days of federal service after beating non Ill resident Alan Keyes and having to face up to the rest of the world that hates us, would be...there, it's working, I feel better already...
John McCain
10/1/2008 6:55:40 PM CT

I am learning to get online myself, and I will have that down fairly soon, getting on myself. I don't expect to be a great communicator, I don't expect to set up my own blog, but I am becoming computer literate to the point where I can get the information that I need.

PHEEER MY BLOG
Montana
10/2/2008 9:17:41 AM CT

Dear #19,

It is apparent that you do not care about America. To say that all Sarah would be doing is going to funerals etc. You better take another long look at John McCain. He is irratic and confused. He has no idea what he said yesterday. He can't even remember what "stuff" in his ads are true. His health is a BIG issue for me, especially the melanoma cancer he has had 3 bouts with. Remission usually lasts about 10 years and he is at year 8. If he survives 4 years in office I would be amazed. Stress tends to trigger cancer. Experience isn't any good to anybody if judgment and good decisions aren't there as well.

Did you see his interview yesterday with that newspaper? That temper of his is getting closer and closer to the surface. I saw a little bit of it during the "joint" interview with Katie Couric. John McCain is an angry man! Before this is all said and done, we, the voters, will see it and it will not be pretty. If you would like to see more of his pettiness and vindictiveness, all you have to do is watch the videos of the Senate hearings on the Vietnam POW/MIAs. Any respect I had for him was gone by the end of it.

This is not the type of person we need. WAR is not the answer to everything. Unfortunately, John McCain thinks it is. The Asian markets are already looking towards the future with the idea of becoming the moving force that America was once. American business has helped China become the juggernaut it is by shipping American jobs there. When the fall of America is written about in the history books it is all going to point to this Republican rise in American politics starting with Ronnie and ending with W. Because of their failed economic philosophy they have taken down America. This has been a very sad past 28 years. The only high spot was Bill Clinton's terms but that was overshadowed by the Republican House and Senate. The witch hunt/hounding of Bill Clinton was disgraceful. The Republican party and main stream media should be ashamed.

Maybe America has finally learned her lesson. The sad thing is, it may be too late to salvage our place in the world order. If that is the case, we need to get our troops out of all foreign countries and look after America for a change. Time for foreign aid to be cut by 75%. Time for China, the new world leader, to start giving to needy nations instead of America.
Anonymous
10/2/2008 9:59:23 AM CT

It was Cheney the VP not Bush the President who was spirited away to an undisclosed location after 9/11. That alone shows that the VP position is more than ribbon cutting and funeral attending. Or maybe it shows that Cheney has been running the show all along.
karalad
10/4/2008 9:41:44 PM CT

John McCain's health definitely should be of concern to everyone! I agree that the cancer could "rear it's ugly head" again, but he is 72, and that in itself could be the problem. My step-dad started getting Alzheimer's at that age. Sure, many people live many years longer than that and have no problems with their health but when someone is so irratic, it should be considered. I heard he has refused to turn over his medical records, does anyone know if that's true? If so, isn't there a required time frame on that like there is on the tax returns?