VP Debate: Live Analysis

8:00 CT: Everybody seems to think Joe Biden will make some big blunder. This will not happen.

8:01 CT: Glen Ifill with the introductions. Debate will focus on domestic and foreign policy affairs.

8:02 CT: "Can I call you Joe?" Sarah Palin's first words at the debate.

8:05 CT: You don't need to go to a soccer game to know that the economy is terrible, Sarah.

8:08 CT: Sarah says, "John McCain sounded the Fannie May and Freddie Mac warning bell two years ago." Biden responds with the classic "McCain said the economy was strong." Did Sarah Palin just wink?

8:09 CT: 96% of the time Obama has voted with the Democrats. That is not a good Republican talking point. Sarah should have known not to mention that.

8:10 CT: Joe Biden is going to recall quotes all night long. Sarah Palin cannot match Biden's references. When she starts telling a story or analogy the facts Biden just presented solidify in people's minds because they are not opposed.

8:14 CT: Joe just destroyed Palin's tax increase line. Then he destroyed her by directly stating that she did not answer the question. Joe smiled big.

8:15 CT: Oh sorry Sarah, we're up against the clock. To bad you couldn't make your point in a responsible amount of time.

8:20 CT: How does giving $5,000 tax credits to citizens not cost the government money. This is not "budget neutral," the government is not able to tax that credit, therefore they generate tax revenue on that $5,000.

8:21 CT: "[McCain's health care plan] is the Ultimate Bridge to Nowhere," then Biden turned and looked Palin in the eye as the crowd laughed.

8:23 CT: Sarah Palin is just talking about whatever she wants to talk about. The topic was health care, lets talk about energy because I come from a state that produces oil.

8:28 CT: Sarah Palin goes back to energy again.

8:30 CT: I legitimately have no idea what point Sarah Palin was trying to make.

8:32 CT: The debate started out with each candidate targeting the other parties presidential nominee. The tide has changed and it seems that instead of going after Obama, Palin is spending most of her time saying John McCain did...

8:34 CT: How is "Drill Baby, Drill" funny? Palin though it was.

8:36 CT: Joe just said the Constitution upholds same sex marriages. Is Palin going to play the trump card, the Bible?

8:38 CT: Nobody cares if your friends disagree with your stance on gay marriage Sarah.

8:40 CT: Sarah Palin claims that there is an exit strategy. Please tell.

8:42 CT: Joe wants to hear it too, but he stated, "With all due respect, I didn't hear a plan."

8:44 CT: She was speechless, then called [Obama's] plan a "White flag of surrender...al-Maliki and the Talibani [that is legitimately what she said, exactly as it is written] will work with us."

8:48 CT: Sarah's going back down the "without preconditions road." It clearly didn't work in the presidential debate, why would she bring it up?

8:50 CT: "[Henry Kissinger]'s passion for diplomacy" has nothing to do with your thoughts on meeting without precondition. You regurgitated a talking point to avoid the question.

8:51 CT: Why does Sarah Palin continue to refer to the Bush administration. It's a terrible strategy.

8:53 CT: "Nobody in the Senate has been a better proponent for Israel than Joe Biden."

8:55 CT: Palin has gone back to the Bush administration, again.

8:56 CT: "Change is coming," you are correct Sarah, look at the polls.

8:58 CT: "Can we go back to Afghanistan," looks like she ran out of Nuclear talking points. She then again supported the Bush administration in regard to Afghanistan.

9:04 CT: Joe Biden just told you why he voted for the Authorization Bill. He just gave you that straight talk. And there is no way Sarah Palin watched any of the Democratic Debates.

9:08 CT: How does McCain know how to win a war? What in his history proves this position?

9:09 CT: Does Sarah Palin know that John McCain will eventually die? Is she aware that she will eventually die?

9:11 CT: Joe Biden just subliminally asked the question: "Are you better off now than you were eight years ago?"

9:14 CT: "We need flexibility in 'No Child Left Behind,'" if she's close to the three of four teachers she previously named she would know that no teacher supports 'No Child Left Behind.'

9:19 CT: Palin is the Governor of a huge state. That was good enough qualification for Bush, so it must be for Palin as well. Paying for health care has nothing to do with experience, sorry Sarah, but it doesn't.

9:22 CT: Any women on the fence just moved over to the Obama-Biden ticket after Biden mentioned his authoring of the Violence of Women Act; he then astutely pointed out that McCain voted against it.

9:23 CT: Why did Sarah Palin just reference Romney, Giuliani, and Liebermann. Could she be setting up a VP swap. Very curious.

9:24 CT: Biden just cut in over Sarah's babbling to call out McCain's "Maverick" status. "Maverick he is not, on the important critical issues that effect people at the kitchen table."

9:25 CT: Biden just dropped Roe v. Wade into the discussion. Watch for Palin to close with a mention to this decision.

9:28 CT: Joe Biden's lesson on bipartisanship: "Don't question their motive, question their judgment."

9:29 CT: Sarah Palin just gave her closing statement, and then realized she has to make her closing statement. She blamed the mainstream media and said the "John McCain and I will fight for America." End on a Reagan quote.

9:32 CT: Joe Biden's final statement presented himself as the everyman.

28 Response(s) to VP Debate: Live Analysis

Nina
10/2/2008 9:39:19 PM CT

Biden was excellent!
Anonymous
10/2/2008 9:46:17 PM CT

You saw the same debate that I did.
Sharon
10/2/2008 9:47:38 PM CT

If only on the basis of providing answers to questions asked, Biden wins. Half the time I was waiting for the governor to tie her rambling responses to the questions she was asked. She is in so far over her head, and it's pure hubris for her not to recognize it!
From the Heartland
10/2/2008 9:52:47 PM CT

Maverick; smaverick! Go Joe Go!
R. V. Case
10/2/2008 9:53:30 PM CT

I listened to Gov Palin and tried to sort out what she was saying. I guess I wanted more substance than sound bites. I only watched the last 30 minutes and she said maverick like 50 times. She also seems pron to logic circles when asked a non-scripted question. I felt like I could tell which questions she trained for and which one she didn't. I am specifically talking about the question that asked about mistakes made. Also I think she blinked too much which could be a reaction to telling lies.
Biden on the other hand just seemed to hammer the 8 more years mantra. Not bad. I wasn't expecting anything less or more from him.
Porcini
10/2/2008 9:55:19 PM CT

Not another 4 years of NOO-CLEER!!!!Puh-lease!
Anonymous
10/2/2008 9:58:55 PM CT

Even though over her head she tried to control the content of the debate. I found it disrespectful that she'd redirect the questions almost every time to what she "studied". I think she worked hard to study..give her that...but clearly out of her league! GO OBAMA-BIDEN 08!
maggie
10/2/2008 10:03:21 PM CT

What the hell was she talking about?
Keith
10/2/2008 10:08:56 PM CT

McCain's pick of this obviously unqualified, intellectually incurious, vapid harpie is the most cynically sexist move I have witnessed in my adult lifetime. Finally, I think that the American public is coming around to this realization.....
Anonymous
10/2/2008 10:21:07 PM CT

Oh my god, more "nu-cu-lar"!
Palinsweet
10/2/2008 11:21:39 PM CT

I think she was hot! Something about the whole Governor fantasy I got going on in my head. I now know what head that Johnny was thinking with.
Montana
10/3/2008 12:18:07 AM CT

I find it sad that the American people have been spurned again. What is it about Republicans that they have an aversion to answering questions with straight answers instead of talking points. What is it about Sarah that she can't speak with whole words and instead of "cha" instead of "you"? Because John was such an integral part of the deregulation of all parts of banking, finance, and business I find it incredible that John McCain would even think we, the voters, would believe he would do that.

Joe's quiet humor and articulate speech makes me realize why I originally supported in 2004 and again in 2008. I was truly pleased that Senator Obama chose him.
ria
10/3/2008 12:34:10 AM CT

Dumb beauty queen ,all that was left for her to say was she stands for world peace and loves kids.....who does she think she is fooling .She is unfit to be VP or Prez ...has she no dignity ??
dragging her infant to score points .o much for being religious using a baby to gain sympathy .She is not like us ,I would never use my child .
Bimbos are for poweful men who want to look good ...Mc Cain has 2 ...cindy & sarah ..
Shame on him ,just to gainn power he is willing to gamble with our future with this dumb chick .
Dee
10/3/2008 12:41:21 AM CT

I am with you. What the hell was she talking about?? Seriously!!!
Osborne Ink
10/3/2008 2:48:29 AM CT

It all comes down to the sound bites. Biden provided all the memorable ones, and certainly the best one. The CNN live opinion tracker saw her plummet when she replied to his story with the word "maverick." The polls are not going to reflect a bounce next week. She did the campaign no favors.
Leon
10/3/2008 3:13:18 AM CT

I think she will have won lots of votes with tonights performance ,she didnt bomb therefore she won .For some reason the people of the US seem to vote for people who show at best average inteligence .
Luz
10/3/2008 8:29:14 AM CT

I am sick of the hockey mom and I'm a maverick comments. Please America see that you have been fooled by this woman. Someday I would like to see a woman in the White House but NOT THIS ONE!!! Obama/Biden we need to see you win!!! You have my vote!!!
Demamma
10/3/2008 9:45:04 AM CT

I think if you are a candidate for VP you should learn how to pronounce the word nuclear. I was astounded that her father is a teacher and Palin speaks as she does. It's unbelievable that anyone would think that McCain/Palin should run our country (especially after the mess that Bush has put us in!) If you are on the fence, please read this about McCain and then ask yourself if this is really the kind of character you want making any kind of decisions for you and your family.
westwoman
10/3/2008 10:05:55 AM CT

Think about it--Sarah Palin needed days of cramming to sound like a thinking woman. John McCain suspends his campaign to "focus on the economic situation". These people need tons of prep time and to do only one thing at a time? And they want to run our country when it's in its greatest time of need? We need people at the helm who are educated, smart, and have ideas. Palin did not answer questions, did not spell out any kind of a plan on ANYTHING. That's because she and McSame don't have ideas or plans. Get real America and see that Obama/Biden are the people we need to get us out of what dumbass Bush put us in. We don't need Dick Cheney in drag telling us anything! Of all the smart, qualified women out there, this is the best we can hope for? I don't buy it. No matter what McSame says, (and he lies a lot), what he wants is four more years of Bush/Cheney/Rove ideas, policies, etc. We've had enough of that crap. It's time for the people to put someone in office who actually knows what the hell is going on, and has ideas on how to correct the many mistakes made over the last embarrassing eight years!
Tony
10/3/2008 12:03:13 PM CT

I thought I had found an awesome, un-biased site that covers this election as such. After reading your commentary of the VP debate, I know realize that you are no different than MSNBC coverage. I will sign of from this site, delete it from my favorites and never be back. Sadly, I have given several friends your web address since I was so impressed. I JUST WANT UN-BIASED COVERAGE. Clearly, you are an Obama supporter and you have now lost ALL CREDIBILITY.
Dee
10/3/2008 12:15:15 PM CT

Tony, Fine by me. It's a free world, do what you want to do....
Anonymous
10/3/2008 12:16:12 PM CT

Tony, The facts are the facts - un-biased or not.....
Anonymous
10/3/2008 12:37:09 PM CT

Yes, Tony. Look at the facts. How can you be unbiased if you've experienced the last 8 years? Are you better off now?
c johnson
10/3/2008 3:11:05 PM CT

You betcha!
montanagrandma
10/3/2008 3:40:18 PM CT

I was voting for Obama before the no PAC donations was all I really needed. The debate last night and a brief conversation with a 'friend' this morning gave me another reason. Biden when talking about his family had a moment of going within himself touching the pain of his loss, bringing forth clarity strength and centered-ness we need in our leaders. The 'friend' could not give me a single reason why she liked palin except she was just like her, oh ya the inability to answer a question, I got it. I am still trying to figure out why some one with no brains and no compassion can be taken so seriously? Then I remember the right christians have no internal moral values, in fact so few they are not even aware Obama and Biden are the living examples of what they profess to believe.
blueinredstate
10/4/2008 10:50:01 AM CT

I'm proud to vote for Obama/Biden. These are people who have ideas, and want to improve our country. It appears that I'm not the only one with this notion, but I am hoping that we are the majority come election day. We desparately need this change. Bush has done so much damage, and McCain and Palin would just bring about more of the same. It really is that simple--do you want more of the same?
Anonymous
10/4/2008 3:54:55 PM CT

Is it just me or was sarah P. wired for the debate? Re-run the debate and see. there is a time the camera shows her back ang she seems to have a square thing on her back ( just like G. Bush). Some other threads are also talking about it...
Hercu1
10/6/2008 1:29:28 PM CT

With Sarah Palin, our country is not looking for the best and the brigthest. I think once the election over she will fade back into the wilds, and be forgotten. I can't see her leading this country anywhere but down the tubes. It wasn't a debate for her but a time to read a scripted lecture. There are so many great Republican female Senators to chose from; and there must be many in the House. We don't need to substitute beauty queen and bit actor for the VP position